New Hampshire Federal Discrimination Lawyer

Assert Your Rights with the Help of a New Hampshire Federal Discrimination Lawyer

There is no excuse for discrimination in the workplace—especially in the federal employment sector. All employers, including federal agencies, are subject to strict prohibitions on treating certain employees differently based on their age, race, religion, sex or other protected characteristics.

Yet, discrimination in federal employment remains commonplace. If you believe that you are a victim of discrimination, you should speak with a New Hampshire federal discrimination lawyer about your legal rights. While you may be entitled to financial compensation or other remedies, you will need to work with an experienced lawyer to achieve the outcome you deserve.

Do You Have a Claim for Federal Employment Discrimination?

Knowing whether you have a claim for federal employment discrimination isn’t always easy. While some forms of discrimination are obvious, so-called “silent discrimination” is common as well. In many cases, federal employees will endure discriminatory treatment and hostile work environments for extended periods of time, and while federal employers’ policies may not be overtly discriminatory, they may nonetheless be discriminatory in their effect.

So, do you have a claim for federal employment discrimination? If you have experienced any of the following based on your age, color, disability, gender, genetic information, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion or sex (or if you believe you may have experienced any of the following based on a protected characteristic), you should speak with a New Hampshire federal discrimination lawyer about your legal rights:

  • You were denied a federal employment opportunity either as a job applicant or as an existing employee who was up for a promotion, raise or reassignment.
  • You were denied a reasonable accommodation so that you could work comfortably with your disability or so that you could observe your religious beliefs.
  • You experienced sexual harassment in the workplace, whether in the form of a quid pro quo (as a condition of employment) or in the form of a hostile work environment.
  • You have been bullied, called names or slurs, or otherwise mistreated by supervisors or coworkers based on a protected characteristic such as race, sex or disability.
  • You were denied a security clearance or had your security clearance terminated for reasons unrelated to your eligibility and job-related needs.
  • You received unjustified discipline or a negative performance review because of your membership in a protected class.
  • You experienced retaliation on the job as a result of reporting discrimination, whether against you or someone else.
  • You were wrongfully terminated from your federal employment in violation of your statutory rights as a U.S. government employee.

FAQs: Understanding Your Legal Rights as a Federal Employee in New Hampshire

If I Am Being Paid Less Than My Coworkers, Do I Have a Claim Under the Equal Pay Act or the Civil Rights Act of 1964?

The Equal Pay Act is specific to discriminatory compensation based on sex, while the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits all forms of discrimination based on a federal employee’s race, color, religion, national origin, gender or sex. If you are being paid less than your similarly situated coworkers for substantially equal work, our lawyers can determine which claim (or claims) you should file.

What Is the Difference Between Disparate Treatment and Disparate Impact for Federal Discrimination Purposes?

Disparate treatment involves taking adverse employment actions and following policies and procedures that are overtly discriminatory. In a disparate impact case, a policy or procedure may be facially neutral but discriminatory in its application or effect. Both forms of discrimination are prohibited under federal law, and both can entitle disadvantaged federal employees to financial compensation and other remedies.

How Long Do I Have to File a Federal Discrimination Claim in New Hampshire?

Federal employees have 45 days to initiate the EEOC complaint process after experiencing discrimination on the job. To protect your legal rights, you should discuss your case with a New Hampshire federal discrimination lawyer as soon as possible.

How Can Federal Employees Prove That They Are Victims of Discrimination?

Proving discrimination in the workplace requires evidence of both the discriminatory action and its effects. When you hire a New Hampshire federal discrimination lawyer at The Law Firm of J.W. Stafford, your lawyer will work quickly to gather all of the evidence needed to assert your legal rights.

Contact Us To Discuss Your Federal Discrimination Claim in Confidence

If you have questions about filing a federal discrimination claim, we encourage you to contact us for an initial consultation. To speak with a New Hampshire federal discrimination lawyer in confidence, please call 410-514-6099 or request an appointment online today.